Friday, January 16, 2009

Fig and Orange Glazed Pork Tenderloin

I've never cooked with figs before and wasn't sure what to expect from this recipe. I decided to try it as I had a pork tenderloin to use up in the freezer and it sounded interesting with the addition of figs and orange segments. My husband and I were pleasantly surprised and thought it was very good! I'm going to have to search out more fig recipes, as I have half a bag left....


Fig and Orange Glazed Pork Tenderloin (Taste of Home Magazine - Dec/Jan 2009)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed (omitted)
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 pork tenderloins (3/4 lb each)


Glaze:
2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbls brown sugar
1 Tbls molasses
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp kosher salt
dash white pepper
dash ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped orange segments
10 dried figs
1/4 cup water
1 Tbls olive oil


In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; rub over pork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. For glaze: in a large saucepan, combine the broth, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar and seasonings. Stir in orange and figs. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-18 minutes or until figs are tender. Stir in water; cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. In a large nonstick skillet, brown pork in oil on all sides. Spread with half of fig-orange glaze. Place pork on a rack in a shallow roasting pan lined with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees, basting occasionally with remaining glaze. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

2 comments:

Every Day Gourmet said...

I have a favorite fig recipe that uses kalamata olives, garlic and figs. It is so good with cream cheese on crackers!

Sarah said...

sounds yummy =)