Monday, June 2, 2008

Pork with Mole Sauce

Tonight, I am trying a new recipe for dinner. I know it looks like pork with mole (as in the rodent) sauce, but I'm pretty sure it's pronounced with a long "A" sound at the end. Hopefully you don't have a mental image of a mole at this point and are still interested in trying the recipe! One nice thing about this recipe, you save half the pork after cooking to use in tacos later in the week. (Taco recipe to come Wednesday!)


Pork with Mole Sauce
1 can (14.5 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes (a new product at the commissary!)
3/4 cup sliced onion
1/4 cup each raisins and toasted sliced almonds
2 Tbsp each salt-free chili powder and sliced garlic
1/4 tsp cinnamon
One 2 3/4 lb boneless pork loin roast, well trimmed
1 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I found it in morsels, therefore not chopping)

Mix all ingredients except pork and chocolate in a 3-qt or larger slow cooker. Add pork; spoon some of the tomato mixture over pork. Cover and cook on low 5 to 8 hours until pork is fork-tender. Remove pork to cutting board. Add chocolate to slow-cooker; stir until melted. Transfer about half of the sauce in slow-cooker to a food processor; process until smooth. Stir in remaining sauce in slow-cooker. Cut pork roast in half; wrap and save one half for Pork Tacos recipe. Slice remaining pork. Serve topped with sauce. Serves 4.

Per serving: 409 cal, 42 g pro, 25 g car, 4 g fiber, 16 g fat (5 sat), 107 mg chol, 315 mg sod

**Recipe Review: This has a very distinct taste. It smells wonderful while cooking, but it's not a recipe I will make again. My husband liked it, but it was too different for me. I like chocolate/cinnamon combinations, but didn't really care for them mixed with tomatoes and onions. I would encourage you to give it a try, as you might enjoy the different flavor combination...it's just not for my palate!

No comments: