Monday, August 4, 2008

Are you swimming in zucchini yet?

I miss having zucchini plants! While living in Montana, my husband made this nice little garden and each summer we looked forward to having more zucchini than we knew what to do with. I would make fried zucchini, grilled zucchini, zucchini bread, feta cheese and zucchini patties (you get the point). I haven't been able to make hardly any of that this year as we didn't get around to planting zucchini in our new house (hopefully next summer!) and I refuse to purchase zucchini at the grocery store just to make into bread. However, I did try a new recipe in which I had to break down and purchase zucchini at the store. Part of this recipe calls for cooking the zucchini in butter with garlic and green onions. I may just serve it like that as a side next time, as it was very tasty (with a little cheese on top, of course)!

Creamy Zucchini Lasagna (from Betty Crocker's Cooking for Two)
2 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 Tbl butter
1 medium zucchini, cut into slices
2 Tbl sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup ricotta cheese, drained
4 Tbl grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbl chopped fresh marjoram or 1 tsp dried marjoram
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook noodles as directed on package, drain. Rinse in cold water, drain. Cut noodles crosswise into halves. Heat butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until melted. Cook zucchini, onions and garlic in butter about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until zucchini is crisp-tender. Mix egg, ricotta cheese, 2 Tbl Parmesan cheese and the marjoram. Spread 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce in each of 2 ungreased individual 16 ounce casseroles. Top each with 1 noodle half. Spread 1/4 of the ricotta mixture over each noodle half, top with 1/4 of the zucchini mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 mozzarella cheese. Continue layering and sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: