My husband and I really enjoy P.F. Changs, so much so that we drive 45 minutes just to eat at this restaurant! About a year and a half ago we were able to take a trip to Spokane, Washington (for the NCAA Basketball tournament) with our friends, the Menzie's. They enjoy P.F. Changs just as much as we do and they 'introduced' us to the chicken lettuce wraps. I was a little leery at first as I wasn't quite sure about using a lettuce leaf to wrap around the filling; however, I'm so glad we tried them!
We recently had some friends over for dinner which consisted of Sushi and fried wontons. These particular friends had never tried sushi before, so I thought I may need something else to serve along with the sushi in case it wasn't a hit. I searched the internet and found a recipe for PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps with the 'Special Sauce'! So exciting!! In the rush to get dinner on the table, I wasn't able to capture any pictures of this, but I highly recommend you try this recipe if you are a fan of the Chicken Lettuce Wraps from Changs (especially the sauce, as that's what makes it so good). I couldn't believe how similar this version tasted compared to the restaurant's....very close! My husband said something was missing, but I couldn't tell a difference.
PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps and Special Sauce
3 Tbls oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup water chestnuts
2/3 cup mushrooms
3 Tbls chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
4-5 leaves iceburg lettuce
Heat oil in wok over high heat. Add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from wok and let cool. In the meantime chop water chestnuts and mushrooms until the size of a pea. Chop cooled chicken breasts to the same size. Combine chicken, water chestnuts, mushrooms, garlic and onion in medium size bowl.
Stir-fry sauce
2 Tbls soy sauce
2 Tbls brown sugar
1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
Combine ingredients in small bowl. Pour over chicken mixture (from above) and toss to coat. Heat wok back up on high heat, add 1 Tbls oil (I chose to use sesame oil which added a lot of flavor). Once wok is hot, add chicken mixture and cook until hot. Remove from heat to a serving bowl.
Special Sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 Tbls soy sauce
2 Tbls rice wine vinegar
2 Tbls ketchup
1 Tbls lemon juice
1/8 tsp sesame oil
Make sauce by dissolving sugar in water in small bowl. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use. (This is the sauce in the "middle" at PF Changs--the base which they add the hot mustard and chili paste.)
1 Tbls hot mustard
2 tsp water
1-2 tsp garlic and red chili paste
Mix water with hot mustard in small dish. Place garlic chili paste in another small dish. Add amount desired (increasing the heat) to the special sauce. Use the special sauce as a dressing for the lettuce wraps.
Enjoy Menzie's and Mack's (and everyone else out there)!
3 comments:
Ha! Love it! I seriously need to make these!! YUMMY!!!!!!
We LOVE PF Changs! It's our favorite restaurant... only it's a 3 HOUR drive! I'm very excited to try this. Thanks!
I tried the lettuce wraps at P F Changs a few years in Portland. I can't wait to try this home version! It sounds so good.
Post a Comment