Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Using up taco leftovers

Tacos are frequently made in my household because they are quick, easy, and everyone enjoys them. Rather than using the leftovers from this past week for more tacos, I made them in to "Mexican Squares" for tonight's dinner. The only thing I needed to make for tonight's meal was cornbread. Everything else I had already cooked and was able just to reheat the ingredients.

Mexican Squares (adapted from Pampered Chef All the Best)
1 pkg corn bread muffin mix (plus ingredients to prepare bread)
1 can fat-free refried beans
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 Tbls southwest seasoning
1 can pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped
sliced tomatoes (optional)
shredded cheese
sour cream
leftover taco meat


Bake corn bread according to package directions in a 8x8 pan. In mixing bowl combine refried beans, garlic, and southwest seasoning. After removing corn bread from oven, spread the bean mixture over the top. Heat up the leftover taco meat, then spread over the bean mixture. Top with cheese, tomatoes, and black olives (I also topped with leftover black beans). Serve with sour cream or any other taco toppings you prefer.

1 comment:

Every Day Gourmet said...

What a great way to use up leftovers! Tacos, tacho salad and nachos are my all-time favorite comofort food!