Thursday, January 8, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

The first recipe of 2009 for Barefoot Bloggers was chosen by Karen. I had some over-ripe bananas in the freezer to use, so when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. (Now I have banana pancakes in the freezer!)



Banana Sour Cream Pancakes (Barefoot Contessa Family Style)
1 1/2 cups flour
3 Tbls sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbls milk
2 extra-large eggs (I used large eggs as that was all I had)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon zest (I used a little lemon juice)
unsalted butter
2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
maple syrup

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. **At this point, I also mixed in my bananas since they had been frozen and were very ripe, they weren't going to dice well! Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined. Melt 1 Tbls of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes. Distribute a rounded Tbls of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup. **I also added chopped pecans to the top of mine. Makes 12 pancakes.

6 comments:

Every Day Gourmet said...

That is so funny! I did the same thing with our pancakes and added frozen mashed bananas. These were really good!

Anonymous said...

Ellyn,
These look delicious! I also have lots of frozen over ripe bananas in the freezer. Hopefully I'll make these on the weekend for Chris and I sometime soon.

~Lisa

chocolatechic said...

Oh, I wish I had thought to add nuts to the top of mine.

That would have sent them over the top.

Sarah said...

Looks great Ellyn!! =)

Anonymous said...

lookin' good! i wish i would have thought to add nuts to mine as well. i was just concentrating on not burning them like i tend to do!

Cynthia's Blog said...

Really nice with the nuts