Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Teriyaki Hens

I enjoy using cornish game hens as they are already perfectly portioned for you. The one drawback for me is that you really need to cook them with the skin on which means any seasoning I put on the skin usually gets discarded as I choose not to eat the skin. So, my biggest disappointment with this recipe is that I didn't get the full flavor of the sauce since it is brushed on the skin...I should have put some on the side in small bowls to use a dipping sauce...maybe next time....


Teriyaki Hens
2 Cornish game hens (about 1 1/2 lbs each), halved
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
1 small red chile peppers, halved (remove seeds for less heat)
1 bunch scallions
1 grapefruit, halved

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Season the hens with salt and pepper and place skin-side up in a roasting pan. Roast until the skin is slightly crisp, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, ginger, 1 chile pepper and 1/4 cup water in a pot. Cut half of the scallions into large pieces, and zest and juice half of the grapefruit; add to the pot. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Brush the hens with a few tablespoons of the sauce and continue roasting until golden, about 8 more minutes. Serves 4.

No comments: