Saturday, May 16, 2009

Blueberry Streusel Muffins

I love freshly baked warm muffins on the weekends. I had two containers of fresh blueberries in the refrigerator that was originally meant for fruit salad, but I decided to make muffins this morning instead! I tried a new recipe which turned out fabulous. I didn't make any adjustments for the high altitude and they still turned out really well. These have the perfect balance between the sweetness of the topping and the tart flavor of the blueberries. Enjoy!
Blueberry Streusel Muffins
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (do not thaw) blueberries
Streusel:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla. Fold in blueberries. Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine streusel ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Makes 12.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I have almost this EXACT recipe!!!

Ellyn said...

haha...these were so good! I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Best of Ten Years cookbook. I am rarely dissapointed with recipes from that book! I came across another one that called for the addition of lemon juice...I'll have to try it next time!