Sunday, August 16, 2009

Orange Walnut Chicken

My dear friend, Susy, whom I was recently able to see while she and her family were in Colorado (a very short drive away from me), gave me the 'Taste of Home Winning Recipes Cookbook'. If you've followed my blog for any time at all, you know I love ToH, so getting a cookbook full of their "winning" recipes was a big hit with me. The Orange Walnut Chicken is the first recipe I've tried from my new cookbook and the notation in the cookbook says it's a 1st prize winner. It is very good and received good reviews from my husband as well, which is always nice!

Orange Walnut Chicken
3 Tbls orange juice concentrate
3 Tbls vegetable oil, divided
1 Tbls soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 Tbls butter
4 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
1/2 cup orange marmalade (I substituted apricot marmalade)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbls honey
1 to 2 Tbls grated orange peel
2 to 3 tsps grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Hot cooked rice

In a large resealable bag, combine the orange juice concentrate, 2 Tbls vegetable oil, minced garlic, and soy sauce; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Remove chicken; reserve marinade. In a skillet, cook chicken in remaining oil until juices run clear. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute' walnuts in butter until lightly browned; remove and set aside. Set aside 1/4 cup green onions for garnish. Add remaining onions to saucepan; saute' until tender. Add reserved marinade and the next eight ingredients. Bring to a rolling boil; boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Serve chicken over rice; top with sauce and reserved walnuts and onions. Serves 4.

2 comments:

Eva said...

but what do you do with the rest of the orange juice concentrate? I suppose you could stick it back in the freezer or dilute it to make orange juice but I dunno....

Ellyn said...

You will need to make the orange juice after you get the concentrate that you need, as the recipe later calls for 1/2 cup of orange juice.