Friday, August 21, 2009

Pizza-Meat Loaf Roll

My husband does not care for meat loaf, however it's one of my favorite childhood dishes that my mom makes (and still occasionally makes for me when we come for a visit). In the six years that my husband and I have been married, I have made meat-loaf a total of ONE time, and that's only because he was on a work trip and I had someone to share it with! When I recently came across this recipe for 'Pizza-Meat Loaf' I thought I would give it a try to see if the various seasonings would 'fool' him enough into liking it......

Pizza-Meat Loaf Roll (from "In the Kitchen with Mary and Martha")
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 sleeve soda crackers
1 lb ground beef
1 lb pork sausage
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1 cup pizza sauce, divided
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup pepperoni, sliced

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs; add milk and crackers. Add meat, cheddar cheese, green pepper, onion, pepper, salt, garlic powder, and oregano. Mix well, using your hands. Place a cookie sheet top-down on counter and cover with waxed paper. Spread meat out on the pan, shaping it into a rectangle about 1-inch thick. Spread 1/2 cup pizza sauce over meat, sprinkle on mozzarella, and place pepperoni on top. Starting at short end, use the waxed paper to help you start rolling up the meat jelly-roll style. Cut roll in half. Place into a baking dish with seams down. Drizzle 1/2 cup pizza sauce on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

4 comments:

Every Day Gourmet said...

Did it work? It sounds like comfort food to me : )

wanda said...

Did it work? Fool Dan, I mean? If you ever want someone to eat meatloaf with- CALL ME!!!I LOVE me some meatloaf- I can never make it any good...... I know, shocker....

Ellyn said...

It did work :)!! He liked the flavors, and it does taste quite a bit different than the traditional meat loaf, so although I would like the traditional at times...at least this will do for both of us.

Jeni said...

This sounds yummo. Kinda seems like my kids would like it too.

I {heart} that back to school cake you made. Sure looks like a lot of work...scares me a little. But it's hip.