I am backtracking a bit from this last week, as I've started this blog on a Friday, and I've cooked a meal each night this week (well, except Monday, as I was traveling back from a trip to Montana to see some of our good friends!). Since both my husband and I were traveling last week and didn't get home until late Monday night, I kept this weeks recipes quick and easy!
Tuesday night I tried a new recipe which I found in our local monthly magazine, Around Cheyenne. The name of the recipe is, Pop-Over Pizza. This proved to be a quick and easy meal for those hectic weeknights, however, it didn't meet my family's standard of a recipe to keep on file and make again.
Wednesday we had ham and beans. I have no particular recipe for making this cheap soup, I normally follow the directions on the Navy Bean bag, but cook a little longer to make sure the beans are nice and soft (aka mushy!). I would normally serve cornbread with this meal, but I came across a recipe titled, Cornbread Biscuits (found in the Around Cheyenne magazine). Once again, I'm not keeping the recipe and will not make again. They were okay, but I was hoping for something "spicier/hotter" and thought I would have achieved it since this recipe included green chilies (and I did use the hot variety).
Thursday I made a fish and asparagus dish. I came across this recipe in a cookbook that was sent to me by my friend Susy, who is currently living in Germany. I try to incorporate fish into our diet at least once a week. I would love to have it more, but I have a difficult time finding recipes both my husband and I agree sound tasty. After trying this dish, I would make it again, however, my husband had a different opinion. I think his mind was already set against it from the time he asked, "What's for dinner?" Fish wasn't what he had in mind.
After this already long post and three recipes, that brings us to tonight (Friday). This is a very basic meal, that most people enjoy and it's definitely nothing new! Loaded Baked Potatoes and salad are being served tonight. I'm sure you all have your favorite potato toppings and are more than capable of throwing a salad together (or should I say, opening the bag?).
On another note, I felt like doing shopping a little today and stopped by the Big Lots by our house. Now, I've never been a huge fan of Big Lots, although I'm pretty sure it was one of my husband's favorite stores in college (needed cheap cleaning supplies for his fraternity house, although I'm not sure they ever got used!). Today, I found a cookbook for $3 titled, "Culinarytherapy" by Beverly West. I haven't had a lot of time to look through it, but for $3, I couldn't pass it up! I might need to stop at Big Lots more often.
Have a great weekend and hopefully I'll have some better tasting recipes (and pictures) to share next week!
1 comment:
Ellyn,
After reading that you and Dan try to incorporate fish into your menu once a week I wanted to share a fish dish that my family enjoys. I purchase frozen Tilapia fillets then broil using KC Masterpiece Garlic Herb Marinade to baste both sides. The fillets can be broiled from thawed (preferred) or frozen state. My 14 year old daughter loves it.
Aunt Jo
Post a Comment