My husband and I went to a cookout yesterday evening for the 4th of July. We had a lot of food and a great time visiting with friends, then watched a wonderful firework display. It was our first 4th in Cheyenne and with this being the capital of Wyoming, they put on a pretty good show. We sat in the parade field on base where we had a nice view of the fireworks and the whole place got quiet when Taps played on the base while the fireworks were displayed in the air.
I chose to take baked beans and a dessert called Angel Lush. My husband was helping me put the baked beans together when we had to rush to the emergency room. Let's just say the onion he was cutting didn't make it in to the baked beans. Six stitches later and he is on the mend, and we still made it to the cookout on time! Since I was in a rush, I didn't get a chance to take any pictures of the final product. I'm sure I'll be making the Angel Lush cake again this summer and will post a picture then!
Baked Beans
2 Tbl brown sugar
1 Tbl mustard
1 cup ketchup
1 cans (15 oz) pork and beans
onion and bacon (optional)
Combine all ingredients in an 8x8 pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Serves 6-8.
Angel Lush
1 pkg (4 servings) vanilla fat-free/sugar-free pudding mix
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 cup thawed lite whipped topping
1 pkg angel food cake (or make your own if you are really ambitious!)
10 fresh strawberries
Combine pudding mix, pineapple and whipped topping in medium bowl. Slice cake into three layers. Cover each layer with 1 cup pudding mixture while restacking the cake. Refrigerate for one hour; top with strawberries.
2 comments:
Ah! The Angel Lush cake sounds REALLY good...but I do not know if I can make it since my last "add water to the angel food cake mix" was a disaster :) I need remedial cooking lessons :)
haha! I need them as well, as this whole baking at a high altitude is giving me fits!
Post a Comment