Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TWD: Summer Fruit Galette (Finally a success!)

I was very excited to try this week's recipe which was chosen by Michelle from Colorado Springs (almost a neighbor by Wyoming standards!!). I had never made a galette before and was a little nervous after reading a dear friend's post about her filling oozing out the sides and making a mess. I chose nectarines as my fruit as I've just found a new 'passion' for them! I am SO PROUD of myself (okay, it's not good to boast I know!) but this is the first recipe (out of three) that actually didn't make a mess in my kitchen and came out how I envisioned! I was so excited when taking the galette out of the oven and photographing away when I remembered.....ADD THE CUSTARD FILLING! So, after re-heating the oven, whisking up the custard, back in it went and it came out more beautiful than the first time! I must have rolled out my dough a little thin, because after trimming it to make a 13-inch round, I still had a nice size dough ball left, which allowed me to make a 'baby' galette (AKA my tasting piece!). My husband and I are having a friend over for dinner this evening as his wife and two kids are out of town. I'm hoping both of the guys enjoy the galette as much as I! The crust is super flaky with a hint of butter taste and the filling is so creamy! I am adding this recipe to my 'favorite' category!


7 comments:

Laura said...

Ok, you are SO GOING TO MAKE this when we come through this fall!! :) And if you cannot find a good selection of fruit, we can just have it with the custard filling! haha :) Looks very good!

Every Day Gourmet said...

Yours is GORGEOUS! When you come and visit you can teach me all your secrets : ) I did like the crust too. It was flakey and buttery. I love the icecream we made. It is so good! The berries are perfect in it.

Engineer Baker said...

Haha - oops on the custard! Beautiful though!

Susie Homemaker said...

I should say yours was a success! it looks amazing!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Cute!

Jules Someone said...

This looks delicious!

Bungalow Barbara said...

That looks superb! We loved this recipe, too. It's definitely going to be made again!