When trying to decide what to make for our boxed lunch after church, I came across a recipe for couscous salad. My husband and I are fans of couscous and better yet, the salad does not need to be refrigerated. I failed to get a picture before the salad was gone! This couscous salad is very different from the one in which I normally make. Although we liked this salad, I prefer my other recipe better as it has become one of our favorites. This particular recipe is more savory versus the normal recipe I make which includes curry and a different variation of vegetables.
Sunflower Couscous Salad (from A Return to Family Picnics by Russell Cronkhite)
1 cup dry couscous
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1 Tbls fresh chopped mint
1 Tbls fresh chopped parsley
2 Tbls fresh lemon juice
2 Tbls extra-virgin olive oil
Pour the couscous into a medium bowl. Combine the chicken broth with the cumin and bring to a low simmer; pour over the couscous. Toss together lightly with a fork and allow to rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Stir in the raisins, sunflower seeds, mint and parsley; then fold in the lemon juice and olive oil. Makes 4 servings and can be served at room temperature or cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment